St Mary the Virgin and All Saints, Debden

St Mary the Virgin and All Saints dates from the 13th century. Major renovations, including the construction of the present chancel, were completed towards the end of the 18th century. A significant new addition was completed early in 2000 AD to mark the second millennium.

Debden church today is a living centre of Christian worship. A regular congregation meets every Sunday to grow in the knowledge and love of Christ and to show forth His love to the community. The Church fosters close links with the Church of England school within the village. The children are encouraged to provide decorations and displays for the major festivals.

 

History of the church

c 1220

The north side of the church was built

c 1245

The south side of the church was completed

1310

John de Hereford was appointed as the first Rector of Debden

c 1340

The south side of the church was rebuilt and the south porch added

c 1440

The north side of the churc was rebuilt on the old foundations

1698

Tthe steeple, which was located above the entrace to the Chancel, and which contained 5 bells, collapsed and was repaired by the parish.

1717

The steeple collapsed for a second time. This time the parish could not afford to rebuild it, so it remained derelict until c 1786.

1733

The Chancel was rebuilt as it was in a state of disrepair.

1786

A ‘miserable dark and damp vestry’ on the North side of the church was demolished and the church rebuilt by the Chiswell family, with a new steeple, containing a single bell. The Coade stone font was installed at the same time.

The former Rectory, built close to the church at an unknown date, was replaced by a new Rectory, built on glebe lands off the Walden Road.

1878

A serious fire destroyed the organ and caused considerable damage to the church building.

1880

A new organ was installed

 

Church information

PARTICULAR FEATURES OF THE BUILDING

  • South porch - added about 1340.
  • Font - constructed of Coade stone in 1786.
  • Nave pillars - the oldest part of the building.
  • Organ - built in 1947 and restored in 1986, replacing two earlier instruments.
  • New Room - dedicated in 2000 and used for meetings and functions.
  • Chancel and Chiswell Chapel - beneath which lie the Chiswell family vaults.
  • 14th century tomb chest - in the south aisle.
  • Steeple - replaced in 1930 for the second time.  The first one collapsed in 1786!

The Church is usually open every day.  If you are intending to visit us, you will find a leaflet that describes these features in more detail on the shelf inside the South Door.

 

Stephen Gold

The interment of Stephen's ashes in the churchyard will take place on Wednesday 19th July 2017.

All are welcome to attend the Service which will commence at 3.00 pm

 

Church Sevices and Events within the Parish

 

Services and Events at Debden and Wimbish are advertised on the Notice Board in the South Porch.

They may also be found on the back cover of Parish Pump - Debden's Monthly Magazine.

A copy is attached below.

 

To encourage fellowship and welcome newcomers, we provide refreshments in the New Room,

after most morning Services.

 

Further information about the Church may be found on the Debden Church page of the

Church of England's Website. However, you should note that the diary of events on that website

is not maintained.

 

A schedule of fees for Baptisms, Marriages and Funerals can be sourced from the link at the foot of this page.

 

 

 

 

 

 

pdf: 
File Attachments: